Research in Consumer Finance
- “Health Insurance Transitions and Use of Fringe Banks: Evidence from the Affordable Care Act.” forthcoming. Contemporary Economic Policy. (with Anne Fitzpatrick)
- “Bank Accounts, Nonbank Financial Transaction Products, and Food Insecurity among Households with Children.” 2017. Journal of Consumer Affairs 51(3): 631-658. DOI: 10.1111/joca.12158
- “Does ‘Banking the Unbanked’ Help Families to Save? Evidence from the United Kingdom.” 2015. Journal of Consumer Affairs Special Issue on Starting Early for Financial Success 49(1): 223-249. DOI: 10.1111/joca.12055
- “The Effect of Bank Account Ownership on Credit and Consumption: Evidence from the UK.” 2015. Southern Economic Journal 82(1): 55-80. DOI: 10.4284/0038-4038-2013.027
- “Food on the Fringe: Food Insecurity and the Use of Payday Loans.” 2014. Social Service Review 88(4) 553-593. (with Alisha Coleman-Jensen) [lead article]. DOI: 10.1086/679388 (Finalist for the 2015 Frank R. Breul Memorial Prize for best article published in the Social Service Review)
Research in Food Policy
- “The Downs and Ups of the SNAP Caseload: What Matters?” forthcoming. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy. (with Stacy Dickert-Conlin, Brian Stacy, and Laura Tiehen).
- “Food Deserts and Diet-Related Health Outcomes of the Elderly” 2019. Food Policy 87: 101747 (with Nadia Greenhalgh-Stanley and Michele Ver Ploeg). DOI: 10.1016/j.foodpol.2019.101747
- “The Impact of Food Deserts on Food Insufficiency and SNAP Participation Among the Elderly.” 2016. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 98(1): 19-40. (with Nadia Greenhalgh-Stanley and Michele Ver Ploeg) DOI: 10.1093/ajae/aav044
Research in Tax Policy
- "The Interaction of Metropolitan Area Costs & the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit: One Size Fits All?” National Tax Journal, Vol. 63, No. 3, September 2010: 419-446. (with Jeffrey P. Thompson). DOI: 10.17310/ntj.2010.3.02 . (Winner of the 2010 Richard Musgrave Prize for best article published in the National Tax Journal.)
- “Utilization of Income Tax Credits by Low-Income Individuals” National Tax Journal, Vol. 58, No. 4 December 2005: 743-786 (with Stacy Dickert-Conlin and Andrew Hanson). DOI: 10.17310/ntj.2005.4.07
- “Tax Credits and Grants for Undergraduates,” (with Elaine Maag), Tax Notes, May 31, 2004.
- “Subsidizing Higher Education Through the Federal Income Tax Code,” with Elaine Maag Tax Notes, July 7, 2003. (Reprinted in The Exempt Organization Tax Review 41(2), August 2003.)